Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Update with Point?

The house has been sold! Whoopee for something being over, if not for no longer having that nice house in Portland with all the fond memories that went with it. Part of the house selling process was that today a piece of paper came with the amount of money we received as a result on it. While looking at it I had two reactions, first I checked to make sure the number was within the expected range, the second was to think, "It's just numbers."

Now, I know that it isn't actually just numbers, these numbers stand for a value. But that value is so arbitrary, so seemingly removed from fairness, or logic that it has no set value. At the same time it is a fraction of the value of a regular house in London, and the amount that ten average Bangladeshis earn for their entire lifetimes. What it means to me is that I get to live in my own house which has plumbing, electricity, heating and cooling and furniture, eat unbelievably amazing food, dress like a king, and still save money so that I become even richer.

What do I do with these riches, and my life in general? Not much. I take care of the house but not in a way that anyone would think justifies my existence. We live like college students. I have produced an excellent dog. I try to improve at music, but not enough to be great, because that's really hard. I have started a novel, and am writing it extremely slowly but hope to speed up at some point. I think about things a great deal. I wallow in decadence. From time-to-time I go abroad and see different places, which is a wondrous thing. But I don't do a lot.

But not doing a lot is fine. This is good enough for me, and my wife says that she is the happiest she has been. That's the key, good enough is exactly that, good enough. There are people who say that good enough isn't good enough. Those people are idiots. Life is about getting to a place that is good enough, and then noticing where you are.

No comments: