Monday, November 29, 2010

My Favourite Sweater


My favourite piece of clothing is a faux woolly jumper in a colour that has been described as everything from orange to mustard to gold. It was purchased used from a thrift store for less than $10, it's largely man made fibers, it stretches when you hang it up, and it doesn't really fit.

It is actually a replacement for a previous woolly jumper that had a slightly more golden hue. I'm not sure what happened to that sweater, I do remember wearing it in England and Wales while wandering around.

I like it so much because it suits who I am. It's not a beautiful thing, it easily rumpled. It isn't pretentious, but it certainly isn't understated. It is almost unique. It's a tough piece of clothing in that you can throw it in a corner and it doesn't change it one bit. It is ideally suited to grey and drizzle as it keeps you warm and dries easily.

In essence, what this sweater does it tells you about who I am. I think of this sweater as the sort of thing that an English college student would wear. Someone who doesn't own things but thinks about things. A person who is more comfortable in a pub than a church. Someone who hasn't joined in with what has been decided is cool, or looks good, or that the latest thing is better than what there was ten years ago.

I love it.

No comments: