Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Cold

I have a cold.  Not as badly as Christina, and I get to stay home.

However, I am sick, and sickness makes me very tired.  Christina slept for twelve hours last night and was tired when she went to work.  I slept the same amount but stretched it out into different naps and snatches.  We have the most comfortable bed.  Sometimes I just lie in it and feel the comfort.

Sickness removes motivation, even the motivation to have empathy.  Christina is working while being more sick, and I really should feel bad for her but I am more focused on lying down and being comfortable.  I have these things I "should" do.  I should be writing interesting stuff.  I should be reading about the philosophy of the mind.  I should be playing music.

I am largely writing this so that I will have written something, a should completed.  A pass on a pass/fail grading system. It will actually probably be more interesting to people than most of my stuff.  It's a human interest story about a lack of human interest.

The wise men of the East (they do all seem to be men, even more so than in the West) advise to look at how animals deal with sickness.  They lie down and sleep a lot.  They don't feel like they should be doing this, or trying that.  They just rest and get better, without guilt or worry, and so sickness isn't as bad and recovery is quicker.  I'm not sure if they are right or not, but I'm going to give it a try.

If you repeatedly read this blog please say "Hi" in the comments.  It feels very much like everyone has gone away.

2 comments:

Emily Ruoss said...

Hi, buddy!
I'm sorry you're sick. Rest and be well. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan,
Hope you and Christina feel better soon.

Blake