Monday, June 16, 2008

Musing with no point.

I have hardly posted at all in a month. Did you notice? I haven't had much to say, I wonder why that is? Does it mean that age, satiation, general contentment has stopped me from thinking? Does it mean that I have settled in to having set opinions on the fast track to being an old curmudgeon (my life's goal)? Does it matter?
A defining moment in my life happened was when I was ten years old, walking back to the flat that my family was staying in while a search for a country residence was undergone. I was walking with my father and I stated that I had worked out why it was rational to believe in god (finite effort to get to heaven with infinite reward if you are right, Pascal's Wager) and he quickly said that was the position of Pascal, clearly a famous philosopher. At that point I decided that it wasn't fair that at the age of ten I had equaled the genius of a famous philosopher at his peak and yet would never get any rewards as a result. It therefore didn't make any sense to work hard at thinking up clever things, the vast majority of them have already been thought and claimed by others. Since then I have come up with utilitarianism, the politics of the whigs, and probably several other ground-breaking achievements for their time without having read of them in advance.
I have found that being reasonably clever is a huge advantage in life, it means you can manage your money, avoid crisis, make your life easier and more interesting. But being really smart is largely useless unless it makes you rich and famous, which largely comes from either working really hard, or getting really lucky.
So, maybe this week I'll have things to say, but I doubt they will be as clever as the things I thought about when I was ten, back when I thought there was great use for such thinking.

1 comment:

Dade Cariaga said...

Well, Dan, I know that for myself, when I examine my own motives too closely, I end up in a state of utter confusion and humiliation and guilty.

Writing a blog is a means of expression. For me, anyway, it's not so much that anything I say is brilliant (it most probably is NOT). It's just that the act of expression is therapeutic.

Creation is a pleasure in life, is it not?

That's why I write my blog. I'll wager that's why you play music.

Keep writing.