Sunday, November 16, 2008

Adventure or Doom?


Christina was informed this week that her department is being transferred to Houston, Texas. Since money is still required to live this means that it is very likely that we will move to Houston. The question is whether this will result in adventure or a doom-filled litany of miseries.
I have never heard anything good about Houston, TX.
I have heard lots of warnings about never going to Houston TX. It will not be a pretty place to live and most of the people will be virulently different in their political and social beliefs. There will be not be the social amenities of mass transport, community organizations or even parks. The area that we are most likely to move to (Tomball) prides itself on being a place with good family values. For people like me "family values" are code words for bigotry and intolerance. I expect that almost everyone I meet will view my life-choices essentially with contempt.
On the other hand, if I view Houston as basically a new country then the possibilities of a great adventure unfold. I have never lived in a tropical climate, which is basically what Houston has. Perhaps the greatest thing for my personal development was coming to the United States, and there is little doubt that the differences between Salisbury and Ann Arbor, Michigan are greater than the differences between Portland and Houston. if I am to pride myself on tolerance then I must display it by being able to deal with people different than myself. If I am to have a life with adventure and excitement then I must go to places where I am not initially comfortable and try to adapt.
Finally, I think that people are people everywhere in the world, and that there will be good, kind, tolerant, funny, interesting people in Houston, if I make the effort to find them.

2 comments:

Dade Cariaga said...

Wow! Houston!

Your points about adventure and tolerance are good, but then again, so is your interpretation of the meaning of "family values."

Any chance Christina could find other work here in Portland?

Unknown said...

Get out your shitkickers! YEE-HAW Danny boy! Saddle up pardner.
Houston is a shithole's dried up nasty cousin. You sure are covering the major areas of the USA on your living journey. Of course no New England yet, minus the day or so in NYC with me, but you'll get there and never leave. they are your kind of folks. But seriously.... having done a record label for a few years, there is a solid Houston underground...and a lot to do not following traditional "family values". You'll find it if you look. I certainly aint promising Portland levels of art and culture, but don't count it out. Besides, the Bad News Bears went there and there's great Mexican food....can't be all bad.a