Wednesday, November 26, 2008

You Know I'd Be A Poor Man

But today I saw a bald eagle fly, It flapped slowly, and rather muscularly about thirty feet over my head. One of the greatest advantages of having a dog is that you go outside every day, and if you treat your dog properly, you go outside for hours every day. I've been enjoying sights such as flocks of geese coming out of the fog, volcanoes looming in the distance, shafts of winter light through rattling leaves.
I've had a fabulous couple of days, feeling comfortable in my own skin, feeling spontaneous. Sometimes I'm sad, but it's romantically sad, like Byron on a bender. Often I'm content, but mostly I've felt beautiful from the inside-out. Don't worry, I'm still a fat guy with no fashion sense and a bizarre, amish beard. what I mean is that the way I have felt over the last couple of days is like listening to a lovely piece of music, or seeing a lovely painting. The art of living, I suppose.
Yesterday while playing music with a group of sweet people, sitting around a coffee table singing songs and telling stories, our newest friend asked who wrote the song that we had just played. It was a nice thing to say, "I did" and have her reply, "really?"

And then the great thing is that in just a few hours the person who is most responsible for the way I have felt these last couple of days will come home for four days that we can spend in a quiet, restful cocoon. I love my wife, how great is that?
I also want to to tell my sister Emily and my father Ken that it was really special to talk to the two people in the world that really understand what's going on inside my head, because they have the same things going on inside theirs. The two of you were absolute delights on my trip home.