Thursday, November 19, 2009

The "Nearly There" Lethargy


I am a lazy person. But a practical lazy person. This means that while I strongly dislike doing things, I understand that things have to be done. Furthermore, often if you don't do something you will have to do more later. As a result I tend to get to things done quite quickly, I don't like the weight of things undone hanging around. I'd much rather be lying around, free as a bird. One of the modifiers on this is my mood. Since my mood changes quite a lot, or more accurately my energy level changes, there are times when I really don't want to do anything at all, and other times when I am extremely productive. I tend to do a weeks' worth of projects in a day.

The other modifier to this principle is when there is a sustained project, something that takes months or years, just when the end is in sight all motivation evaporates. This happens at the point where I become certain that I can fulfill the final tasks. Once the final portion of a long and difficult task becomes something which provides little challenge it becomes extraordinarily difficult for me to get over the finish line. I tend to waffle, prevaricate, procrastinate and avoid the last little bit. Well, the end of our Annus Difficilis is at hand and all that was needed was the collection of about twenty pieces of paper. Ten days went by with me wandering and waffling, but yesterday I spent a full eight hour day of mad scrambling to finish everything. Before closing on our house I need to send one e-mail and then wait for three weeks before the ridiculous signing event.

The "Nearly there lethargy" is a fascinating thing about myself that I don't really understand. I also don't really understand whether I like having things about myself that I don't understand, or not.

1 comment:

Dade Cariaga said...

Hey, Dan.

I like this "nearly there" lethargy, believe it or not, to a similar experience I had with smoking.

During our old band days, as you know, I smoked like a chimney. A couple years later I decided to quit (not for the first time). And I had success! I quit for 3 months.

Then, inexplicably, I started again. I relate this to your "nearly there" lethargy in this manner: By quitting for 3 months, I had satisfied myself that I could in fact quit, if I really made the effort.

I used this as justification for starting again. You know? "I can quit, if I want. I just choose not to right now."

I dunno. Maybe the parallel leaves something to be desired, but there is some relationship there.

Anyway, congrats on closing on the house.