Friday, May 9, 2008

Choosing to not be good.

I think most of us have a sense of what is a good person. Most people think a good person is kind, patient, understanding, compassionate. Someone who pulls their own weight and tries to improve the lives of those around them. We know what a good person is like, and most of us think that people should be good. So why aren't we?
I know what it is to be a good person and I know for a fact that I frequently am not a good person. I can be angry, impatient, I can hold people in contempt, I'm often lazy and often I simply don't want to care about those around me. I also know that if I put the effort in to become a better person I could be a better person. For a while, in order to ward off depression, I meditated daily and it had a profound effect on me. I became more patient, calmer, less cruel. I realized that if I continued this practice that over time these qualities would become such habits that they would be largely ingrained. As a result I made the decision to stop the practice. This seems horrific, deliberately deciding to be a worse person. My reasoning was the very things that made me a better person reduced the experience of me living. I phrase it in my mind as deciding not to live in a pleasant watercolor, but to live in a Shakespeare play. A choice of passion, drama, excitement over serenity.
I think all of us who aren't saints make such decisions, we decide to live as we want, we do things for ourselves rather than doing what is good. I have no idea if recognizing that in ourselves is a good thing or not.

2 comments:

Dade Cariaga said...

Wow, Dan. This is a heavy concept. I can't disagree with your premise, except maybe in this one regard: choosing to be a good person does not innoculate one from the "Shakespearean passions" to which you refer. People who choose to be good (or rather, who actively attain to be good) still succumb to pettiness, impatience, and selfishness. It's a process, trying to be good; just like an exponential function that approaches, but never reaches an axis on a graph.

No?

Dan Binmore said...

Yes.