Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Wow, you are rich.

Here I am, sitting on a couch with a computer, dressed in soft cotton, with a glass of orange juice to one side contemplating whether to eat thai food tonight, or just a regular burger. And I think of how, when compared with the state of most of humanity throughout history (and the world) how ridiculously wealthy I am. If you are reading this you are probably filthy, stinking rich too.
Machine woven cotton clothes are of a higher quality (softer, more durable, more comfortable) than those worn by medieval monarchs. Henry VIII never wore anything as comfortable as my cotton sweatshirt. Before 1492 europeans had no access, no experience of such things as tomatoes, or potatoes. Spices other than salt and the local herbs were essentially unobtainable. In one restaurant in one modern city there is more variety in possible flavors than at the banquet of the greatest emperors five hundred years ago.
Books! In my house I have several hundred books. In medieval times a book would have cost a master carpenter two months wages. And the variety of books available now would have astonished anyone of the time. Through my casual reading of books I probably know more about world religion as a whole than perhaps anyone alive in the 14th century.
My garden has plants from around the world provding a brilliance of colour beyond the ability of most ancient monarchs to replicate.
I am filthy, stinking, astonishingly rich, and so are you.

1 comment:

Dade Cariaga said...

An important and often forgotten fact!

Well said, Dan.

It sure makes our petty complaints seem ridiculous, eh?