Thursday, May 22, 2008

Voting follow-up..

So, on Tuesday I voted for the first time. Almost all the people I voted for won. I feel nothing, no different before or after. Nobody won or lost by a single vote, and therefore my vote was entirely inconsequential. I was hoping for some sort of irrational joy associated with the process, a feeling of satisfaction perhaps. But nothing, I know that what I did had no effect. I feel pleased that the people I would prefer to be in office seem likely to be in office, but in the same way that I feel pleased when Hamas and Israel talk to each other. I am pleased that something good is happening, I feel entirely non-responsible for the event, and I suspect strongly that nefarious people will somehow sabotage the best response from happening.
Perhaps it's this cold I have. Perhaps it's because the sunshine has left Portland. Perhaps it turns out that I am more rational than I had hoped.

No comments: